Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Day of the Horse

The day wasn't half bad I was hurting....As usual,When don't I hurt!The sun was out today and my two big babies Whiskey and Whinny(win-e) were standing at the gate looking at the house waiting for me to bring them some hay or grain or a carrot....Just anything!! I put on my thermals, of course after I took my pain medication and drank two cups of coffee ,was able to move around a bit now so out the door I went.My good ole' rubber thinsulate duck boots that I haven't seen the color of in two or three months now cause they are always muddy,and my thermals, Oh and don't forget the walking stick,cause of my bad knee.My hair all flying in the wind, sloshing in the Indiana clay mud in the pasture so slick you feel like your skating..Ahh......Can you smell it? The smell of fresh manure and dirt and hay......Feel the sun on your back..There is nothing else like it in the world! At least not to me. I'm pushing my home made cart,it has wheel chair wheels,cause I don't need that darn thing anymore!My brother Eddies idea. Eddie...... It works great.. Except one wheel keeps falling off !Well one day I'll fix that,With the hay and Whiskey is following along behind me trying to snatch as much hay as he can get before I might get somewhere he'll miss out.Whinny has fallen back to pick up the scraps Whiskey threw over the side to her on the way.He couldn't leave out his best friend. Out in the pasture a bit I throw out two piles,Whiskey is the herd leader so I give Whinny her own pile to nibble on. I start to stoke my big beautiful copper colored horse and he raises his head to me so I can smell his breath and give him a kiss.Have you ever smelled a horses breath that lives outside?It's hard to describe,like grass and hay and... I could smell it forever.I hear the birds chirping and the hawks with their sounds and off in the distance you can hear the geese honking.Ten minutes ago I hurt so bad all I wanted to do was go back to bed and pray for pain relief ,now out here with my horses I am alive again.The pain has subsided and I feel like ...I have a life.Burr........it's kinda cold out here the wind is kicking up a little so I can't fool around out here too long.......... Whinny's coming over now, she wants to be stroked a little too.She doesn't want you to bother her too much while she's eating though , she half closes her big brown eyes..... and I guess...dreams of spring! I know I am.
Google

No comments: